Terms of service
Opening an HMHCo Account. To become a subscriber to Curious World, you must first open an account with HMHCo (the “HMHCo Account”) by providing us with a name and email address and selecting a password. In order to establish an HMHCo Account, you must
- be 18 years of age or older and
- provide complete and accurate registration information.
You are required to provide a valid and working email account at which you can receive communications from HMHCo about your HMHCo Account, your or your children’s uses of any of HMHCo’s offerings, such as Curious World or GoMath! Academy, as well as other email communications.
We age-gate our “Create an Account” page, and include instructions on such page designed to notify users that an HMHCo Account should only be established by a parent or legal guardian (or other adult).
If we learn that an ineligible user has created an HMHCo Account, we will either request confirmation of the above criteria, or deactivate the account.
Passwords; Responsibility for Users. You will select a password for using to access your HMHCo Account. You are solely responsible for any and all activity that occurs while you, your children and/or other authorized and permitted users are logged into your HMHCo Account (including any of HMHCo’s offerings accessed thereby such as Curious World or GoMath! Academy). You may not share your HMHCo Account or provide access to any of the HMHCo’s offerings to more than the number of authorized and permitted users.
Non-Transferable. Access to the HMHCo Account is non-transferable.
Managing Your HMHCo Account. The HMHCo Account can be managed at the https://www.curiousworld.com/profile. In addition or alternatively, you may contact HMHCo Customer Support at 1-877-271-1680 (toll-free in the United States). Certain HMHCo’s offerings may be managed only by calling HMHCo Customer Support. For example, it may not be possible to manage certain aspects of your HMHCo Account or HMHCo’s offerings unless you call the HMHCo Customer Support. For example, you have to call HMHCo Customer Support in order to delete or terminate your HMHCo Account, to cancel any of HMHCo’s offerings that may be automatically charged or renewed, and to handle various other matters. Access to the HMHCo Account may also not be accessible from certain geographical regions and/or on certain devices.
HMHCo’s Offerings. No content, information and/or other materials made available by HMHCo (including via the Curious World App, the Curious World Sites, other HMHCo’s websites or apps, and/or any other media or channel owned or operated by HMHCo) may be used, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any purposes whatsoever, other than for your or your child’s or children’s personal enjoyment in accordance with these Terms.
Code of Conduct. To the extent the HMHCo Account or such offering provides the capability, as user(s) of the HMHCo Account and any of HMHCo’s offerings (including Curious World), you agree that you will not and will not allow your children to:
- decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer, or obtain access to any materials or information through “hacking,” “data harvesting,” or through other means we have not intentionally made available to you through the HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings or any aspect thereof, or otherwise circumvent any technological measure that controls access thereto;
- encumber, transfer, sublicense, distribute, reproduce, create derivative works of or otherwise modify any products or services made available through access to HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings;
- rent, lease, sell, assign or otherwise transfer rights in or to, or make available for timesharing, application service provider or service bureau use, HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings in whole or in any part;
- use, post, transmit or introduce any device, software or routine which interferes or attempts to interfere with the operation of HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings;
- disclose, harvest, or otherwise collect information, including e-mail addresses, or other private information about any third party without that party’s express consent; or
- bypass any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings;
- abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate or intimidate others via any HMHCo Account or HMHCo’s offerings, or transmit to other users via HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings, any defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, obscene, profane, offensive, sexually oriented, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, racially offensive or illegal material;
- contribute any user submission that is infringing, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, abusive, offensive or otherwise violates any law or right of any third party;
- engage in any activity intended to obtain password, account, or private information from any user;
- transmit unwanted email or other communications;
- submit stories or comments linking to affiliate programs, multi-level marketing schemes, sites/blogs repurposing existing stories (source hops) or off-topic content;
- take any action that might impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure;
- interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings or any other activities conducted on any site or app via any HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings;
- state or suggest, directly or indirectly, that HMH endorses you or your child or children or, as applicable, any user generated content;
- use the HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms. For example, you will not use the HMHCo Account or any of HMHCo’s offerings to violate any law, statute, or regulation (including, without limitation, those governing consumer protection, unfair competition, anti-discrimination, or false advertising); or
- permit your child or children (or knowingly permit any third party) to do any of the foregoing.
Technical Support. We offer certain technical support to users of an HMHCo Account (or any of HMHCo’s offerings). This support can be obtained by contacting us as provided below (“Technical Support”). If you have questions concerning the hours when Technical Support is available, or other terms applicable to Technical Support, please feel free to ask our Technical Support personnel.
Attention: Tech Support
Phone: 1-877-271-1680 (toll-free in the United States)
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8am - 10pm Eastern Time; Saturday, 9am - 5pm Eastern Time.
Allegations of Copyright Infringement. HMHCo respects the intellectual property rights of others and requires that its users do the same. If you believe that content accessed via your HMHCo Account (or any of HMHCo’s offerings) constitutes infringement of a work protected by copyright, please notify our agent, designated under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. §512) (the “DMCA”) to respond to such concerns, as follows:
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company Attention: Trevor Crippin, Legal Department 222 Berkeley Street Boston, MA 02116
Your notice must comply with the DMCA. Upon receipt of a compliant notice, we will respond and proceed in accordance with the DMCA, including its notice and takedown provisions.
Warranty Disclaimer. THE HMHCO ACCOUNT (AND EACH OF HMHCO’s OFERRINGS OR SERVICES) IS PROVIDED BY HMHCO AND ITS LICENSORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. HMHCO, ON ITS OWN BEHALF AND ON BEHALF OF ITS LICENSORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS, HEREBY DISCLAIMS (i) ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE; (ii) ANY RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR THE ACCURACY, CONTENT, COMPLETENESS, OR LEGALITY OF INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA OR AVAILABLE ON THE HMHCO ACCOUNT OR IN ANY USED OR SUBSCRIBED SERVICE; AND (iii) ANY RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR HARM RESULTING FROM DOWNLOADING OR ACCESSING INFORMATION VIA THE HMHCO ACCOUNT OR ANY USED OR SUBSCRIBED SERVICE, INCLUDING HARM CAUSED BY VIRUSES OR SIMILAR DESTRUCTIVE FEATURES. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF THE HMHCO ACCOUNT AND ANY USED OR SUBSCRIBED SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK.
Limitation Of Liability. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT, OR NEGLIGENCE, WILL HMHCO, ITS LICENSORS, OR SERVICE PROVIDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOST PROFITS) THAT ARISE OUT OF OR ARE RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE HMHCO ACCOUNT AND ANY USED OR SUBSCRIBED SERVICE. IN NO EVENT WILL OUR TOTAL LIABILITY (AND THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF OUR LICENSORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS COLLECTIVELY), WHETHER IN CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, IN THE AGGREGATE EXCEED THE LAST SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD FEE YOU PAID. THESE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY WILL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW AND WILL SURVIVE CANCELLATION OR TERMINATION OF YOUR SUBSCRIPTION.
Local Consumer Law. The laws of your jurisdiction may limit the effect of the warranty disclaimer and limits of liability set out in Sections 18 and 19. Please refer to the laws of your jurisdiction.
Submission of Feedback. Under certain circumstances, we might ask parents for feedback or ideas as to their experiences with an HMHCo Account (or any of HMHCo’s offerings). If you choose to provide us with feedback, you acknowledge and agree (i) that you have no expectation of review, compensation or consideration of any type for any such feedback; and (ii) we will be free to use and exploit such feedback in our discretion and without compensation or obligation to you.
Subscription Terms of Service
These “Subscription Terms of Service” govern your subscription of Curious World.
- Trial Period. Your subscription to Curious World may start with an opt-out trial subscription, in the form of a free promotional trial. The promotional trial period is seven (7) days, unless you have been offered or received a trial period that is longer or shorter. We may shorten or extend such promotional trial period offers from time to time in our discretion. Such promotional trial is "opt-out", meaning that, at the end of the promotional trial period, your access to Curious World will continue, and your trial subscription will be automatically converted to a paid subscription. When you sign-up for a subscription including for a promotional trial, you may be offered a choice of subscription plan and period (e.g., monthly or annual) which will start at the end of your promotional trial unless you cancel before the end of the promotional trial (see below). If you opt-out and cancel prior to the end of your promotional trial (as provided below), there will be (1) no charges to the payment method you provided at the time you registered if you registered for a free promotional trial; (2) only the discounted promotional trial fee charged if you registered for a discounted promotional trial; and (3) in no event will there be any charges for a paid subscription to the payment method you provided to be held on file by HMHCo. We may, but have no obligation to, hold your payment method and associated information on file in connection with your HMHCo Account for future use in case you should subscribe to Curious World or any other HMHCo offerings in the future unless you contact us at 1-877-271-1680 and give us instructions to delete or remove or modify the information.
- Subscription Period. Curious World allows you to pick from a number of subscription periods when you sign-up, and when you sign-up, you must select a subscription period for your subscription, even if a promotional trial is made available to you. If you are offered and you sign-up for a promotional trial, you must select a subscription period which will start at the end of any applicable promotional trial unless you cancel before the end of the promotional trial by calling HMHCo at 1-877-271-1680 or, if you subscribed to Curious World via iTunes, by visiting your Apple iTunes Store Account (see below for further information about cancellations).
- Renewals including Automatic Renewals. If you subscribe to Curious World through our website (at https://www.curiousworld.com) or via an Apple In-App Purchasing through your iTunes Store account, your subscription will renew automatically on the day of the month at the end of your applicable subscription period that corresponds with the day of the month your subscription started or on the date that is the one-year anniversary of the date on which your one year subscription commences in the case of yearly subscriptions. If you previously subscribed to Curious World through the mobile app via Apple iTunes Store, you may be required to re-subscribe to a monthly or yearly subscription plan with an automatic renewal feature at the end of your current subscription period. We will no longer be offering subscriptions paid for via Apple iTunes Store that are not automatically renewing. All fees for a subscription period are due on the first day of that subscription period, and your payment method accordingly will be checked and must be valid at the beginning of each subscription period.
- Payment Authorization; Cancellation; No Refunds for Discounted Promotional Trials. When you sign up for a promotional trial (either discounted or free) we will ask you for information for a payment method to hold on file and authorization to charge you for the subscription period you elect, as provided above, at the end of such promotional trial. If you are signing up for a discounted promotional trial, please note that your payment method will be charged the discounted promotional trial fee. You may cancel your promotional trial at any time; provided, however, that no refunds will be given for payments made in connection with a discounted promotional trial. Because HMHCo bills in advance for a subscription, if you are signing up for a free promotional trial, in some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization; however, no charges will be made against the payment method if you cancel prior to the end of your free promotional trial period.
- Opt-Out; Payment Obligations If You Do No Opt-Out. Unless you cancel prior to the end of your free or discounted promotional trial by calling HMHCo at 1-877-271-1680 or, if you subscribed to Curious World via iTunes, by visiting your Apple iTunes Store Account (see below for further information about cancellations), the first subscription period will commence at the end of your promotional free or discounted trial and then renew on the day of the month at the end of your applicable subscription period that corresponds with the day of the month your subscription started. IF YOU DO NOT CANCEL A CURIOUS WORLD SUBSCRIPTION, CURIOUS WORLD WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE AND YOUR PAYMENT METHOD ON FILE OR VIA YOUR APPLE ITUNES STORE ACCOUNT WILL CONTINUE TO BE CHARGED AUTOMATICALLY AT THE PERIODIC SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE RATE THEN IN EFFECT FOR THE APPLICABLE SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD; PROVIDED, WE SHALL GIVE YOU ADVANCE NOTICE OF MATERIAL INCREASES IN PRICE OR OTHER MATERIAL CHANGES TO THE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. We may send you notifications, emails and/or other reminders prior to, upon and after the expiration of your promotional trial, but we are not obligated to do so.
- Continuing Service; Continuing Automatic Payments. IF YOU SUBSCRIBED FOR CURIOUS WORLD AND DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION, THE CURIOUS WORLD SUBSCRIPTION WILL CONTINUE TO BE AVAILABLE AND YOUR PAYMENT METHOD ON FILE OR VIA YOUR APPLE ITUNES STORE ACCOUNT WILL CONTINUE TO BE CHARGED AUTOMATICALLY AT THE PERIODIC CURIOUS WORLD SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE RATE THEN IN EFFECT FOR THE APPLICABLE SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD; PROVIDED, WE SHALL GIVE YOU ADVANCE NOTICE OF MATERIAL INCREASES IN PRICE OR OTHER MATERIAL CHANGES TO THE CURIOUS WORLD SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. We will continue to bill your payment method for the “subscription-period by subscription-period” basis at the previous applicable fee until you cancel your subscription. Your Curious World Subscription will automatically renew each applicable subscription period until you choose to cancel. We may send you a reminder prior to the expiration of your current subscription period, but we are not obligated to do so.
- Billing. By signing up for your promotional trial and starting your subscription or by paying for a paid subscription, you are expressly agreeing that HMHCo is authorized to charge the applicable subscription period fee to your payment method on file or as provided by you at the then-current rate for the applicable subscription period (taking into account any free or discounted promotional trial), and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of Curious World. Your payment method will be authorized for up to subscription period as soon as you so act. In some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization.
- Third Party Processors; Authorization. We may use the services of one or more third party, hosting providers, processors and/or financial institutions to process the payment method for your Curious World subscription. BY PROVIDING PAYMENT METHOD INFORMATION, YOU EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZE HMHCO, ITS AGENTS, SERVICE PROVIDERS AND PROCESSORS TO CHARGE THE PAYMENT METHOD FOR THE SUBSCRIPTIONS. Your authorization will remain in full force and effect while you maintain your Curious World Subscription, unless you change your payment method as instructed or cancel your subscription by calling HMHCo at 1-877-271-1680 (or as otherwise provided in the further information about cancellations below). You agree to keep a valid payment method on file with us, and if you change the payment method, doing so is deemed your consent for us to charge the new payment method hereunder. We may delay, suspend or refuse to process a payment method if we suspect the payment method is unauthorized, fraudulent, suspicious or otherwise unusual based on prior transaction activity or other fraud controls, but you are still responsible for the payment(s) due. We are not responsible for any fees or interest charged directly by your card issuer. Depending on your billing address, your subscription to Curious World may be subject to state and local sales taxes. You may change your billing address at any time. Changing your billing address may change your sales tax liability. Any changes will be reflected in your next applicable billing period. Please note that upon notice, subscription prices are subject to change.
- Cancellation by Subscriber; No Refunds. You may cancel any promotional trial or paid subscription at any time BUT WE DO NOT PROVIDE REFUNDS OR CREDITS FOR ANY PARTIAL-SUBSCRIPTION PERIODS, TRIAL PERIODS OR UNUSED PERIODS OR SERVICES, unless we determine, in our sole judgment, that unusual circumstances require a refund.
- Subscriber Cancellation Process. If you subscribed to Curious World via iTunes, visit your Apple iTunes Store Account to cancel. If you purchased your subscription on the Curious World site, please contact HMHCo at 1-877-271-1680 for additional cancellation instructions. Other HMHCo offerings may have different cancellation policies and procedures. If you subscribe to Curious World, you must cancel before the beginning of a new subscription period to avoid being charged for the subscription period based on the terms for automatic renewal, and you are responsible for payment for the remainder of any subscription period when you cancel during a subscription period. After cancellation, you will continue to have access to the Curious World service until the end of any applicable subscription period previously paid for.
- Cancellation by HMH. We reserve the right to refuse to provide, suspend or discontinue Curious World or any other HMHCo’s offerings or to suspend or close your HMHCo Account, in whole or in part, at any time for any reason, including convenience, immediately and without notice. If we cancel your subscription or terminate your HMHCo Account for convenience and stop your access to Curious World, we may give you a pro-rated refund or credit (which may include a merchandise credit), in our sole discretion, based on the time remaining in your current subscription period. If we terminate your subscription or HMHCo Account for your breach of these Terms, without limiting our rights and remedies, you acknowledge and agree that you shall not be entitled to any refunds or credits for any partial subscription periods or unused services, and that we may immediately terminate your access to HMHCo Account, Curious World and/or any other HMHCo offering you may be using or then subscribed to.
- After Expiration or Cancellation. If a parent cancels a subscription plan, or allows a subscription period to expire or lapse without renewing, then HMHCo may retain or delete all information associated with any and all Child Profiles that may have been set up in its sole discretion. HMHCo provides no assurances and guarantee, and shall have no liability or obligation to insure, that if a subscription plan expires, lapses or has been cancelled that upon reinstituting a subscription plan, previously established Child Profiles will be available or accessible or any learning or personalization features will be able to be recreated, recovered or resumed.
- Non-refundable. All fees charged are final and nonrefundable.